Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Blog Challenge Day 8: Satisified

So, today's topic is a time when you were most satisfied with your life. This is difficult and has required a lot of thought. It's not that I live being dissatisfied exactly but I do struggle with contentment. I am frequently worrying about or anxious about something or I am thinking about what's next to come. I am especially guilty of this when it comes to my children. I have this very acute awareness that my fertile years are fleeting and I just don't feel done. I don't even particularly want another baby right now but I also can't let go of the idea that I am not ready to be done having them either. But, I digress. Satisfaction is the word of the day.

I think the time I felt the most satisfied overall in life was shortly after we brought Jack home from the hospital. I felt so complete and not just in motherhood but in my marriage. I loved having this person between me and Jared who we created, who we were wholly responsible for. My best memories are of the nights when he was an infant. I did not breastfeed but I did pump. I, as a meticulous, perfectionist, worrying Virgo (ha ha), did not want to leave my milk supply to chance so I woke up every three hours and pumped while Jared bottle fed Jack. We got into the habit of DVR'ing mindless sitcoms and Food Network shows such as Unwrapped. We also ate copious amounts of Uncrustables during this time, which may have contributed to my inability to lose the baby weight (ahem). Anyway, those 30 minute interludes are some of my sweetest memories...we were fumbling new parents, in awe over our little baby and, while fraught with all the worries and anxieties that come with new parenthood, in those midnight moments it was just me, Jared and Jack.

No comments: