Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Practicing Forgiveness

Charlie recently graduated from the infant room to the toddler room at his school. He has adapted wonderfully--I think he was more than ready for the challenge. He most enjoys gardening. The toddlers (18 mos-2.5 years) maintain a garden, growing sweet peas, cucumbers and carrots among other treats. Evidently, Charlie is quite the avid gardener, evidenced by the wonderful cucumber he brought home from school last week. I'm just sad he can't taste the fruits of his work.

Today, the school's director told me a story that positively warmed my heart and says everything about my sweet little boy. Another friend from school tried to bite Charlie today. After counseling and a discussion of the merits of not biting your friends, the offending little boy was put in a quiet time to reflect on his behavior. Charlie stood and watched his friend in trouble and then suddenly said to Melissa (the director), "No Lissa, hug!" and went to his friend, pulled him by the hands to standing and embraced him. Then, Charlie removed his pacifier and gave him a kiss.

I love seeing my little boy learning to extend forgiveness so effortlessly. I hope he holds onto this virtue.

As I write this, I just scolded Jack for screeching and asked him to sit quietly next to me for a few moments. Charlie immediately came over to sit next to his brother. :-)